Thursday, May 22, 2014

X-Men: Days Of Future Past

More Like, "Days of Stupid Title"
Before I start, it's important that you know that I'm not a huge fan of Superhero movies. I find each "new" movie to follow the same story line as the one that came before.

Story line: Here's your favorite hero with his (OR HER) power. Here's a new villain who desires very much to exterminate humanity. Humanity is skeptical of our hero because of the threat he (OR SHE) poses. Hero manages to over come the villain and restore humanity's faith in said hero.

That's how it goes nearly every time. I'm not saying it's wrong or stupid to enjoy seeing this story if it's what you enjoy, it's just not my cup of Earl Grey.

In truth, if you only want to shut off your mind and enjoy the comic relief this genre will always have, the action, violence, or destructive fun that comic book based cinema offers, that's more than fine with me. I say, "Great! Enjoy!"

I'm not well read in the X-Men comic series, although, the only popular comic book I ever owned was an X-Men title! I have seen the majority of the X-Men movies and so I'm somewhat familiar with the story line they have crafted.

At first glance, I had one major question, "Why is Patrick Stewart in this movie?" I recall his death in X-Men: The Last Stand. I know that after the credits of that film, there was a sequence that pointed at the fact that, he wasn't dead, but had in fact, sent his mind and conscientiousness into a brain dead body. That body would not look like Patrick Stewart and so I ask again, Why is he in this movie?

This is never discussed.

Other than that, I didn't notice anything that fell away from the story line as I know it.

Days of Future Past begins a post apocalyptic world where mutants are being hunted and killed by robots called Sentinels. Because he can survive the process, and everyone likes him best, Wolverine's mind and conscientiousness is sent back to his body in 1973 to work with Young hippie Charles Xavier and Magneto stop Mystique from killing the inventor of the Sentinels, which caused them to be used by the US Government in the first place. Mark Camacho who is completely unknown to me, plays the best President Nixon I've seen since Futurama. We also are treated to another viewing of Wolverines bone claws, since 1973 is before his Adamantium skeleton days. That's as much spoiler as I'm willing to give.

The movie ends with us not knowing anything about the new future, besides that it is Sentinel-free, and leaving me wondering about the state of Wolverine's skeleton.

All in all, this is an exciting story that will keep you interested and on the edge of your seat! If you liked the former X-Men films, you'll like this one as well!

As for me, it's pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment